I feel pretty confident making cookies, cakes, and even brownies gluten-free at this point. I feel like I’ve figured them out.
But one thing I’ve been strategically avoiding is a gluten-free pie. There’s something about that crust that had me terrified. And the filling seemed easy, but what about that crust layer on top?
I know, I know, I was totally overthinking it. But for whatever reason, I avoided making a pie from scratch anyways because I didn’t want to mess it up!
That is until we bought a bunch of berries and didn’t know what to do with them! So I began searching for inspiration and stumbled upon a triple berry pie. That’s when I knew it was time.
Now one thing to keep in mind with this pie is that I did use butter for the crust. I didn’t trust myself to make a crust that was both gluten-free and dairy-free! I felt like the crust needed the butter.
Keep that in mind if you’re a dairy-free reader! I did however opt to make a crumble topping that was dairy-free so that the dairy-free members of our family could still enjoy a good portion of the pie!
Okay, let’s get to the recipe…
THE GLUTEN-FREE TRIPLE BERRY PIE THAT’S SO GOOD, YOU WON’T WANT TO SHARE
PIE CRUST INGREDIENTS
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp white vinegar
PIE CRUST DIRECTIONS
- Grease a 9″ pie pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- Whisk together your flour, sugar, and salt.
- Cube the cold butter, and slowly integrate into your flour mixture until it’s nice and crumbly.
- Whisk together the egg and the vinegar until it begins to foam, then add to the mixture.
- Using your hands, combine the dough until all the ingredients are well incorporated and form it into a ball.
- Place it in the fridge for about 45 minutes, and move on to the filling while you wait.
- After it has chilled for 45 minutes, remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature until you’re able to work with it.
- On a floured surface, roll out your dough until it’s nice and thin, then flip it over into your greased pie pan so it can settle in.
- Using your fingers or a fork, shape the crust in the pie pan and pinch the edges.
PIE FILLING INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups blackberries
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1/4 cup gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
PIE FILLING DIRECTIONS
- Combine all ingredients well, then place mixture in the fridge until you’re ready to add to your pie crust.
- Once your crust is ready, add mixture to crust, scraping the bowl to get all the juices and sugar out.
PIE CRUMBLE TOPPING INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup gluten-free 1:1 baking flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4-7 tbsp coconut oil
PIE CRUMBLE TOPPING DIRECTIONS
- Combine sugar and flour.
- Add 1-2 tbsp room temperature coconut oil at a time to the sugar and flour mixture, and mix together until your crumble resembles wet sand.
- Add to the top of your pie filling, then place in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- Check on your pie after 45 minutes to make sure your topping and crust aren’t browning too much, then bake for another 10-15 minutes. If your pie is browning too much, consider adding foil for that last 10-15 minutes.
Lots of little steps, but this pie ended up being pretty simple and very delicious!
What’s your favorite kind of pie? Let me know in the comments!