Who said comfort foods had to be unhealthy?
I’m a chili lover through and through. But in an effort to eat healthier and create healthy and delicious meals for my family, basic chili recipes just weren’t cutting it.
Many were full of noodles, premade spice packets, and other strange ingredients that not only contained hidden gluten but many other artificial ingredients as well.
In an effort to create a chili recipe that not only comforted us but also kept us healthy, I took to Pinterest.
I scrolled for hours, looking for chili inspiration, and ended up using thought and suggestions from others to put together a new sweet potato chili recipe that was to die for!
So without further ado, let’s dive into this delicious meal so you can make it yourself!
THE HEALTHY SWEET POTATO CHILI RECIPE THAT WILL QUICKLY BECOME YOUR GO-TO THIS SEASON
Before jumping into this recipe, I should note that I prepare my chili in a 6-quart instant pot for ease and for quantity!
If you don’t have something that large, you can easily half the meat, broth, sweet potatoes, beans, and even the veggies in this recipe!
Let’s jump in!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp onion salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 16oz cans black beans, drained
- 2 16oz cans red kidney beans, drained
- 1 28oz can diced and peeled tomatoes, undrained
- 12 oz pumpkin puree
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 32oz cartons vegetable broth
- In an instant pot on the saute setting (or on the stovetop), saute minced garlic in olive oil on medium heat. Add in your diced peppers and onion, and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add in ground turkey, and cook through. Then, add your salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, onion salt, oregano, and paprika to your turkey and vegetable mixture, stirring well to coat the turkey.
- If cooking on the stovetop, transfer your mixture to a slow cooker or instant pot set and set to slow cook on low.
- Add in your sweet potatoes, beans, and tomatoes. Then add your pumpkin puree, cocoa powder, and cinnamon.
- Lastly, add in your broth so all the spices and flavors are mixed together.
- Cover and let simmer on low until sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with a fork.
- I make my chili in a 6-quart instant pot. If you’re working with something smaller, half the meat, beans, sweet potatoes, and broth! Adjust the spices as you prefer.
- If you don’t have these exact spices on hand, feel free to try a similar flavor combination!
- For less meaty chili, opt for 1 pound of ground turkey. If you want a less meaty chili that’s still hearty, replace one pound of meat with 1 pound of mushrooms.
- Not a fan of peppers? Skip them!
- Feel free to replace the beans with other chili varieties if you prefer.
This chili is so simple and so delicious! It gets better each day as you allow the flavors to mesh together.
And the best part? You really can’t go wrong! Use this recipe as a starting point, and alter to your preferred tastes and flavors!
Think you’ll give this one a try? Let me know in the comments!
If you’re looking for more comfort food recipes this season, try this simple Coconut Curry recipe!